St Andrew’s Parish Church, Balligan
In 1703 an act of parliament united the three parishes of Ballyhalbert, Ballywalter and Inishargy and it was decided to build one new church to serve all three. They chose to build it in Balligan which is central to all three parishes. As its datestone records, this atmospheric church was completed in 1704. The first minister of the new church was Rev Hans Hamilton. Still in use today, the simply designed church has no division between nave and chancel.
When it was restored in 1966 the barrel shaped ceiling was taken down, revealing the oak timbered roof, one of the finest in Northern Ireland. It is believed to have been taken from the old church at Ballyhalbert.
Through prior arrangement: 028 9181 0787.