Donaghadee Parish Church
It is thought there has been a place of worship in Donaghadee since the 5th century. It has even been claimed that St Patrick himself landed near here from Scotland. We know that there has been a church on this site for many centuries, as part of the lower tower dates from the medieval period. However, the current church is more recent, with an inscription revealing that, ‘This church was rebuilt by Hugh, Viscount Montgomery, AD 1626’.
Montgomery had chosen Portpatrick and Donaghadee as the main trading route between Ulster and Scotland, building modern harbours and similar churches in both ports to encourage settlers. He even tried to name Donaghadee ‘Montgomery’ and Portpatrick ‘Port Montgomery’ but the names didn’t catch on.
Though most of the Scots arriving in the town after 1606 would have been Presbyterian they would have initially worshipped at this church. One of the most interesting places of worship in North Down and Ards, the main body of the church is cruciform and on the plan of a Greek cross.
Good, paking. For more information call 028 9188 2962 or visit www.donaghadee.down.anglican.org.