This three-storey tower house was built by Rowland Savage in 1622, just 16 years after the beginning of the Montgomery/Hamilton Plantation. A British army officer, he was one of the Anglo-Norman family who had been influential in the area for centuries.
The founder of the dynasty, William Le Savage, had arrived in Ulster in 1177AD with John de Courcy. The family had often been in conflict with the Gaelic O’Neill clan who owned most of east Ulster. Rowland’s two brothers – Edmund and Janico – were killed in a battle with the O’Neill’s in 1602. The Savages would have a happier relationship with the Montgomery and Hamilton families.
The castle, part of whose bawn wall also survives, is owned by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.
Limited but the surrounding bawn wall can be accessed via an adjacent housing development. For more information call 028 9054 0540 or visit http://www.doeni.gov.uk.