Portaferry Market House
On June 10th 1798, this Market House was at the centre of dramatic events as rebels rose throughout North Down and Ards to overthrow the government. A body of yeomanry under Captain Matthews of Springvale set up in the Market House to defend the town. They were supported by guns taken from a revenue cutter which had arrived at the quay the evening before and which were placed at each end of the Market House. In what became known as the ‘Battle of the Diamond’ the poorly armed rebels were speedily defeated. Initially attacking down High Street, they were forced back and retreated down Church Avenue. After one of their number was killed, the rest fled. But the garrison, fearing another attack, then departed themselves to Strangford, and on to Downpatrick, meaning that the whole of North Down and Ards was now in rebel hands.
Good. For more information call the Market House on 028 4272 8852 or visit www.visitstrangfordlough.co.uk or call 028 4272 9882 for tourist information.