Sketrick Castle

Sketrick Castle stands on an island site reached by a causeway on the west coast of Strangford Lough, near Whiterock.

Strangford Lough offers no more beautiful location for a castle than here among the islands of Whiterock. An Anglo-Norman castle, dating from the late 12th century, Sketrick had one of the finest square keeps in Ireland. It was bought in the 14th century by Sir Robert Savage, whose Anglo-Norman family would remain influential in the area for hundreds of years and would later marry into the family of Sir Hugh Montgomery. Originally 57 feet high, 51 feet long and 27 feet wide, only a narrow stack survives today after the castle’s collapse in 1896.

Access

Good, parking nearby. Call 028 4272 9882 or visit www.visitstrangfordlough.co.uk for more information.

Image Gallery

Location

Geolocation